12.1.05

Dear Wes,

I saw Life Aquatic on the 26th. And while I was thrilled with the gun fight scene the most, I have to question the Jaguar Shark scene. Seriously, man. Sigur Ros? Nothing against them, I actually like listening to them every so often. While your movies have made so many songs that much better for me, ie "2000 Man" in Bottle Rocket, "Here Comes My Baby" in Rushmore, and "Lullabye" in the Royals-- or any song in there, for that matter...-- you ruined that Sigur Ros song for me. I can't even think of the name of it off the top of my head since it is written in that fake language anyway. Everything else in the Life Aquatic was so so nice. But Sigur Ros? That would be like busting out Neneh Cherry in the middle of Winged Migration. Quite simply, it is uncalled for.
Also--why didn't Steve kill the shark? Like maybe he could have punched the shark in the nose and killed him with a big sharp metal thing. In the eye or something. I hear sharks hate being hit in the nose. I also thought that Steve and the preggo journalist should have been the only ones in that weird claustrophobic submarine... it would have been more symbolic, you know? Like, even though Cate was fully not preggers with Ned's baby, she could have been in Steve's mind so then it would be all about the future, and not about how many people were on the Belafonte. Maybe Ned would have been a symbolic fetus. Maybe I'm full of shit. Either way, I've got major, major beef with that scene. Everything else was impeccable.

I still love you. I always will.

Sincerely,
charles

1 comment:

El Follador said...

girl,

come on! really. tha scenes is a very emotional cathardic moment, the crux of the movie, where steve finally forgives and ends his mourning. the sigur ros song embodied that feeling, and i feel it fit rather well.