9.12.04

Get off the pooter, folks

With all of my recent food related excitement, for the first time in a long time (about 7 years), I found myself completely uninterested in getting on the internet. Although I could hardly say the respite was relaxing, (the closest sentiment was a horror), this article suggests that perhaps we could all use a little break from the internet. Whether yours is food poisoning related, an act of God, or for reasons that are beyond me-- that you simply would not want to read whatevs, I dare you try it.

Sadly, I had no encounters with any of the hole style toilets in China. I did, however, have the distinct pleasure of staying at one of the largest compunds in all of Guangzho-- The Clifford. The enormity of the place is strange in comparison to the general layout of Panyu City in general. The Clifford features a major hotel (I would imagine it is a 4 star by Chinese hotel standards), luxury high rise apartments, a major hospital (about 15 stories high), a school, more restaurants than you can shake a stick at, a zoo, regular old apartments, grocery stores, clothing stores, electronics stores, and a million people. I'm serious. All in a gated compound off the side of a highway that seems to be under permanent construction. Oh, I forgot, The Clifford War Games area... yes-- you can shoot fake guns at one another while you crawl through bushes and terrain near the lake on the property.

No comments: